How To Do The Hamstring Exercise Ball Curls
Benefits of the Hamstring Exercise Ball Curls
This is one of the leg strengthening exercises that works the muscles in the back of your thigh - the hamstrings. These muscles allow you to bend your knees, and control their motion as you walk. They are essential for walking.
The primary muscles that are strengthened from this exercise are:
- gluteus maximus (extends thigh)
- biceps femoris (extends thigh)
- semitendinosus (extends thigh)
- semimembranosus (extends thigh)
- piriformis (extends thigh)
- and the adductor magnus (extends thigh)
This exercise also uses additional muscles to keep the sphere stable while you perform this workout.
Another benefit is that strengthening these muscles may prevent "Runner's Knee", which is also known as patellofemoral pain syndrome. According to Dr. Darin Padua in an article titled "Pinpointing the causes of 'runner's knee"",
it is stated that weaker muscles behind the thighs are 2.9 times more likely to develop "Runner's Knee."
This is a great leg exercise, and is an excellent addition to any fitness routine.
- Exercise one leg at a time for maximum intensity. However, if your legs are not strong enough yet, you can workout both legs at the same time
- Practice keeping the sphere stable while performing this exercise before lifting your torso up very far
- When you lift your torso up, keep your spine straight. Don't arch your back
- Lie flat on a Pilates Mat or Exercise Mat with your hands at your sides
- Place your right foot on top of the sphere while keeping your left leg straight and in the air as shown
- If you will be exercising both legs at the same time, place both feet on top of the sphere
- Breathe in
- As you breathe out, rotate the sphere toward you with your right foot, and press into the sphere for support
- Lift your torso with your right leg until your knee forms a 90 degree angle, and your spine forms a straight line with your right thigh
- Hold this position for several seconds while breathing normally
- Slowly lower to the starting position
- Do 8 to 12 repetitions
- Repeat this procedure for the left leg
- Do this exercise 3 times a week, every other day
Powered by Solo Build It
Click to build a website and make money from your home!
Return from Hamstring Ball Curls to Leg Exercises
TOP OF PAGE
Donkey Kicks | H.String Bench Curls | H.String Standing Curls | Heel Stands | Hip Abductions | Hip Extensions | Hip Flexions | Lunges | Step Ups | Toe Stands | Wall Squats
| Site Map
| Contact Us