How To Do Step Ups To Strengthen Your Leg Muscles
Benefits Of Step Ups
This is one of the leg strengthening exercises that works the buttocks, anterior thigh or quadriceps and posterior calf muscles. The primary muscles that are used in and benefit from this exercise are:
- rectus femoris (extends leg and flexes thigh)
- vastus lateralis (extends leg)
- vastus medialis (extends leg)
- vastus intermedius (extends leg)
- gluteus maximus (extends thigh)
- and the gastrocnemius (plantar flexes the foot)
Additional muscles that benefit are the peroneus longus, peroneus brevis, soleus, plantaris, flexor hallucis, flexor digitorum, and tibialis posterior, which all plantar flex the foot.
Strengthening these muscles will help you climb stairs and curbs, and make it easier to get out of a sitting position. This workout will also increase your bone density.
This is a good exercise to prepare your muscles for the more difficult leg exercises, and is an excellent addition to any fitness routine.
Check out the great membership offers from 24 Hour Fitness!
- Don't bounce. Your motion should be smooth
- Start slow and gradually increase your pace
- You should do this exercise before the more difficult leg exercises
How To Do Step Ups
- Place your right foot on the elevated surface with your left foot flat on the floor
- Breathe in
- Lift yourself with your right leg so that both feet are on the elevated surface
- Try not to push off with the foot on the floor
- Breathe out and lower your left leg back to the starting position on the floor
- Place your right foot on the floor
- Repeat this procedure with legs reversed
- Continue this exercise until you experience muscle fatigue
Powered by Solo Build It
Click to build a website and make money from your home!
Return from Step Ups to Leg Exercises
TOP OF PAGE
Donkey Kicks | H.String Bench Curls | H.String Standing Curls | H.String Curls With Ball | Heel Stands | Hip Abductions | Hip Extensions | Hip Flexions | Lunges | Toe Stands | Wall Squats
| Site Map
| Contact Us