How To Do The Hamstring Standing Curls Exercise
Benefits Of Hamstring Standing Curls
This is one of the leg strengthening exercises that work the muscles in the back of your thigh - the hamstrings. These muscles allow you to bend your knees, and control their motion as you walk. They are essential for walking.
This workout is not as intense as the floor, bench and ball curls. However, I think that this workout is one of the easier ways to work these muscles.
The primary muscles that are strengthened from this exercise are:
- gluteus maximus (extends thigh)
- biceps femoris (extends thigh)
- semitendinosus (extends thigh)
- semimembranosus (extends thigh)
- piriformis (extends thigh)
- and the adductor magnus (extends thigh)
Another benefit is that strengthening these muscles may prevent "Runner's Knee", which is also known as patellofemoral pain syndrome. According to Dr. Darin Padua in an article titled "Pinpointing the causes of 'runner's knee"",
it is stated that weaker muscles behind the thighs are 2.9 times more likely to develop "Runner's Knee."
This exercise will also improve your appearance, and is an excellent addition to any fitness routine.
- Use ankle weights for maximum intensity. However, if your legs are not strong enough yet, do the workout without weights
- Use a chair or table to help you keep your balance
- Make sure that you keep your knees aligned together when you bend one of them. I have a tendency to move my leg forward when I bend my knee
- Also, don't lean forward when you bend your knee. Keep your neck and spine well aligned
- If you are using ankle weights, first read the
"How Much Weight Should We Lift In Our Strength Exercise Programs?"
section before starting this workout
- Help balance yourself by placing a few fingers on a chair, counter or table
- Keep your neck and spine well aligned
- As you breathe out, bend your right knee, raising your right calf behind you
- Keep your thighs parallel
- As you breathe in, lower your leg to the starting position
- Repeat this exercise with your left leg
- Do 8 to 12 repetitions
- Do this exercise 3 times a week, every other day
Powered by Site Build It
Click to build a website and make
money from your home!
Return from Hamstring Standing Curls to Leg Exercises
TOP OF PAGE
Donkey Kicks |
H.String Bench Curls |
H.String Curls With Ball |
Heel Stands |
Hip Abductions |
Hip Extensions |
Hip Flexions |
Step Ups |
Toe Stands |
| Site Map
| Contact Us